Thursday, August 21, 2008

De La Soul

Hi KIDS!

This blog has been around for a little over a year, so as a celebration this week I'll be providing FIVE entries (one per day, M-F) to vote on instead of the customary one.

Happy Voting!


Purpose:
Determine a band's leader by analyzing a publicity photo.

Disclaimer:
A band's inclusion on this blog reflects neither an endorsement nor a criticism of its music. This post is merely intended as a spotlight on the inner political workings of a collection of individuals who are in the midst of a cooperative, creative endeavor.

The Process:
You, dear reader, please answer the question, "Who's in charge here?"

After sufficient discussion has taken place, a verdict can then be passed based on a majority vote.

Click on pic for larger image
Band: De La Soul
Genre: Hip Hop
Website: http://www.myspace.com/delasoul

Voting ends on: Thursday, August 28th, 9:00am CST (GMT-5)


THE VERDICT (Updated!)

Voting has ended. Here is the tally.

No One - 3 votes
Left - 4 votes
Middle - 5 votes
Right - 3 votes


Ah, another photo that mystified me with its very subtle power dynamics. Thanks for resolving it for me, O Wise Readers! The man in the middle is in charge!

Click on pic for larger image

15 comments:

Falwless said...

Definitely tuff guy in front.

Family Brown. said...

Guy middle at the back, he holds the reins aon the doughnut account I think, he is in charge.

Angela S. said...

I was going to say the guy in front, but then I decided the guy in white looks like he may have shoved him up there at the last minute, so I'd say the middle dude is in charge.

TheOtherJennifer said...

I totally feel like they want to steal my purse. Made me jump there for a second.

The guy in the back looks like Kevin Garnett (only waaayy shorter) and the guy in the front left looks like a poor man's Ice Cube (or is it Ice Tea?)

So, I'm going to have to go with horizontal hold shirt guy on the right.

Blaniage said...

Two-point perspective makes me vote for the man in front. Also, he's the only one not wearing stripes. When you shrink the photo there's a moire pattern which obscures the guys in back. I think the photographer probably mentioned that effect to the guy in charge. But he didn't mention it to his band mates. And he doesn't have to, cause he's in charge.

Jillian said...

These guys play hip hop music? I was going to guess elevator music.

The thin man is in charge.

Hatless in Hattiesburg said...

It's all about gravitation here. Just like Mars is "in charge" of Phobos and Deimos, the guy on the left is in charge of his two satellites.

BeckEye said...

They're all equally in charge, aren't they? There's no "I" in "Me, Myself and..." oh, wait.

Daltana said...

The guy on the right has my vote.

One person in a white shirt, one in a black shirt. The leader is the one that combines the two with the black and white striped shirt.

Anonymous said...

Tiny man in the middle for sure!

Anna M said...

guy in middle

A Jaded Girl said...

I vote for the elavator doors in the background

Oh yea! Votes for random objects are back

Jared X said...

Oh, to have been there when this elevator opened up and the thick cloud of Pineapple Express smoke was released into the building's lobby.

The combination of the horizontal stripes and the reflection from the metallic wall is hypnotic. I have to vote for the guy on the right.

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

The guy on the left. He's working it more.

Anonymous said...

French fries are in charge...